Thursday, November 12, 2020

Habits of the Creative Mind: Diverging

Diverging

This reading for this blog discusses the importance of diverging and how it affects our levels of creativity. The authors chose to use the Robert Frost poem, "The Road Not Taken" to open up and it reads, 


Though starting off with this poem that even uses the word "diverging" seems unoriginal, the authors address this fact and state that people miss seeing what it really is about. They state that, "Frost diverges from the expected because his poem about divergence is actually about the failure to diverge" (Miller and Jurecic, 253). This divergence from the normal is what brings out the true creativity of a writer and allows one to avoid falling into the same old boring style of writing. In my work specifically, I seem to follow a strict pattern of introduction, a few paragraphs, and then wrap it up with a conclusion. However, these papers lack creativity and it makes my work less interesting to the reader because they know what they are getting before they have even started. This year, I have been doing my best to "diverge" as the book would say and be a little more free in my writing. So far, this has actually paid off tremendously as my grades have boosted from past essays. Departing from the norm and my lack of creative writing has allowed to to travel down the so called "road less taken" and unlock a creative portion of my mind that I never knew existed.

In order to diverge for this blog post, I did some outside research that really helped me understand the importance of divergence even better. I stumbled upon a video that I have attached down below that speaks to the importance of implementing divergence in the school system and how students need to be taught to be innovators. A classroom becomes boring when the activities become redundant. This eliminates the creative minds of the students and hinders their ability to truly diverge.

https://youtu.be/c1wfyBvkeqQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Habits of the Creative Mind: Connecting

  Image Address Connecting "Thinking is the intentional act of making connections" (100). "No one would argue that connecting...