Thursday, November 12, 2020

Habits of the Creative Mind: Connecting

 

Connecting
"Thinking is the intentional act of making connections" (100).

"No one would argue that connecting the dots is creative" (99). This line is bluntly stated by the authors and is honestly very true. The simple idea of dots being connected is very boring and lacks any kind of creativity whatsoever. However, the text goes on to say that while this idea is boring, when we as writers begin to connect ideas together in our writing, it takes on a whole new form and suddenly becomes an entirely new paper.

In my own personal writing, connecting the dots is something that I can say I do pretty well. In each paragraph, I use one idea from my thesis, and break it down sentence by sentence until I feel that my argument is strong and persuasive enough. I do this with the rest of my ideas included in the thesis and in the conclusion, paragraph, I wrap all of my ideas together by restating my thesis in a creative way to bring my audience full circle. 


Another great idea discussed in the text are the "three most important words in the English language." These words are the conjunctions, "and, or, and but." They connect sentences and phrases, but most importantly IDEAS together. These connections allow the writer to expand on idea and keep the reader entertained throughout the entire piece of writing. Although I stated above that connecting was one of my strong suits, I believe that I can still implement more of these words into my writing. Sometimes I have great ideas come out, but the lack of using these conjunctions kills the idea and makes my writing less interesting.

The fun video below goes into detail of how connections are made between words and why they make such a big difference in the entertainment value of one's writing.

https://youtu.be/RPoBE-E8VOc



No comments:

Post a Comment

Habits of the Creative Mind: Connecting

  Image Address Connecting "Thinking is the intentional act of making connections" (100). "No one would argue that connecting...